Saturday, October 4, 2014

{In the Library Bag}

I have two new favorite books to tell you about today.  Both of them were so so good!  I stayed up way too late reading, but it was our Fall break from school, so what better to do?

The first one is a memoir of sorts.  The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared by Alice Ozma is the story of her and her father and their experiences reading together.  It is a wonderful story and I enjoyed every minute of it. Starting some time in grade school I believe, her father read to her every night, right up to the day that she left for college.  It's very interesting what ended up happening in her father's professional life.  He was a public school librarian and his school system decided to throw out most of the books and just have computers.  You can just imagine how he reacted to this.

I first saw The Reading Promise mentioned at Amongst Lovely Things.  I was intrigued so I requested it from the library.  Last week Sarah had Alice on her Read A-loud Revival Podcast (which I've mentioned before are awesome!!).  Apparently their story is going to be made it into a movie!  {I hope they don't ruin it}

The next book I read was a novel.  I was a little leary after the last novel!  When I started The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton I wasn't so sure I was going to be able to get into it.  I'm not sure why, it just took a while.  However, this book ended up being crazy good!  Towards the end there was a twist that I was totally not expecting.  That, for me, is one of the marks of a good book.  I'd love to go on and on about it, but that would ruin it for you.

During our weeks of school I try not to read too many page turners because then I'm tempted to stay up too late and read too much, but I immediately ordered another Kate Morton book from the library.  I couldn't help it. 

The girls and I are reading Peter Pan together.  We are enjoying it very much.  It's been years and years since I've seen the Disney version, or any of the other versions, so when we are finished I think we'll have to get the movies and see how they compare. 

1 comment: