Sunday, August 23, 2015

Ready or Not!

It's that time of year again! 
 

 Never has the planning of a school year and First Day of School been so tricky!  Plan A had to be scrapped for Plan B (which was a blessing as far as delaying our start date a bit) and it was quite a feat finding a day that would work for both families.  {You can read about our First Day traditions here}.  Outside classes and activities as the kids get older are a good thing, but they are not without their challenges.



 










 

 
 We finally got a date on the calendar and settled on the zoo as our outing.  It had been a few years since any of us had been.  Since that time the zoo has added orangutans and koala bears.  The koala bears are on loan from the San Diego zoo and will be leaving soon.  They were sleeping when we were there, but you could still tell that they were sooo cute!!  The orangutans were funny, but I'm not sure I would use the word cute. 

The planning of our classes has also required some flexibility.  Callie was suppose to be taking two classes at our local co-op, but one has been cancelled, so that will require a Plan B also.  We were disappointed, but know that it will all work out in the end and could be a blessing in disguise.

The day before our official First Day Of School Field Trip, the weather was so cool and fall like that we just had to go to Eagle Creek park.  Callie had recently mentioned wanting to go and this was the perfect day.  Eagle Creek is a city park of Indianapolis, along a reservoir, with  trails and a great nature and ornithology center.  It was so beautiful and peaceful.  If we had brought a hammock and supper, I don't think I would have left!  It was really good to take notice of God's beautiful creation and just take a deep breath, knowing that once school, ballet and co-op starts, things will get a little nuts.  There won't be as much freedom to just run to Eagle Creek if we want to.  I'm so glad I didn't talk myself  into staying home and "getting things done"!  When are things ever "done?"


 









I'm pretty excited about the great books we'll be reading this year.  I'm almost finished pre-reading Callie's first Literature selection, Uncle Tom's Cabin, and you'll hear more about it later.  Kate's first book will be A Little Princess.  I've read it once or twice to Callie and at least once when I was young.  I have no problem reading it again!  Some books just never get old.  The one I really can't wait for is Little Lord Fauntleroy!  Oh my goodness!  I love that book.  One of my all time favorites and the best movie with Ricky Schroeder, which unfortunately I cannot find on DVD.  Someone really needs to do that! 
{Actually, Amazon has it.  For $40!  I don't think so!!}



The school room has been cleaned out and dusted, the chalkboard wall at the bottom of the steps is full of inspiration (go here for a free devotional, the cover of which I printed and hung)  and we have a bouquet of sharpened pencils.






 
Say a little prayer for us? :)

4 comments:

  1. You have new, sharpened pencils with erasers! What more could a homeschool need? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the link! It looks like you had a great start to your year :)

    ReplyDelete